18 June 2010

Herding Cattle

It is amazing sometimes how much time can alter one’s perspective towards certain life experiences. Something reminded me of this today and reinforced to me the importance of attitude in life. This particular experience involved herding cattle with my dad and uncle, an activity I did not enjoy very much as a child. When I was younger much of my energy was spent wondering how soon we the chore would be done and thinking about other things I could have been doing; as a result I was not living life in the moment.

Today, however, I had a much different attitude and perspective about the whole ‘herding cattle’ experience. In some ways I think all the difference was that I actually looked at this activity as an ‘experience’ and tried to imagine it as if it were my first time doing so. Suddenly I was feeling quite fortunate for getting to spend time with Dad and enjoy the great outdoors of the Dakota prairie. Before long I was crossing the gushing waters of the Zell dam and then walking through my dad/uncle’s cattle. The highlight of the experience, though, was when Uncle Charlie and I attempted to corral a bull that had gotten mixed in with the neighbors’ cattle. Even though we ultimately failed - the stubborn bull escaped us and crushed my human legs’ capacity for running (figuratively, not literally) - I had a blast running through the field wearing (near) knee-high rubber boots. Not exactly the best footwear for the task, but it makes it more memorable.

In the end what I learned from this experience is: many times life does not transpire as hoped or expected, and plans have to be modified/adapted regardless of one’s wishes. I have often had a difficult time with this in the past and chose to become more frustrated in situations than was necessary. Although I am still guilty of this and will constantly need to work at it, I feel I am a calmer and more peaceful person now and try to live life for its individual and unique moments. Won’t you do the same?

2 comments:

  1. Joe, the juxtaposition of you, the only Vegan I know, herding cattle is uproariously funny for some reason. The images it brings to my mind are hilarious.

    Thank you for taking me along for the ride, even be it vicariously! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Traveler IQ Challenge - Because I love Geography & Travel!!!


The Traveler IQ challenge ranks geographic knowledge of cities such as: Charleston, Atlantic City or Carolina by comparing results against 5,992,971 other travelers. Brought to you by TravelPod, a TripAdvisor Media Network member