28 June 2010

The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers

Anyone familiar with current events and news programs know how much these are centered around catastrophes, murders, rapes, bombings, scandal, and other depressing, terrible things. In a typical thirty minute nightly news report (which is actually only about twenty-three minutes of news), it seems that only the last few minutes are ever reserved for positive stories and tales of people helping one another. Despite the lack of more uplifting stories in the news, I believe there is still plenty of goodness to be found in the world and had the opportunity to bear witness to some in my travels recently. I would like to share some of these examples to help spread some of the good that is in the world.

The first example occurred around 7:00 am on Saturday as I was attempting to navigate the bus system of the Twin Cities area. I thought I had been very responsible the previous night by writing down the steps/directions to get me from my friend’s where I was staying in Minneapolis to the AmTrak Station located in St. Paul. The Metro Transit website said the trip would take me somewhere between thirty-one and thirty-seven minutes total, so I got up plenty early to ensure I would not be late. Packing and getting ready took more time than I had planned, however, and resulted in me missing the bus I was hoping to catch. I was just about to give up on the bus and take a cab when the next bus stopped and I hopped on. I immediately asked the driver about the transfer I needed to make and he assured me [his] bus would make that transfer in downtown. I was about to sit back down and ride all the way to downtown when a young lady from across the aisle asked “Are you trying to get to the 16 Bus to go to St. Paul?” I told her this was correct and explained I was heading to the AmTrak Station. She then told me I should get off at the next stop and cross over to the other side of the street to catch the 16 Bus over there in a few minutes. Although the driver had told me different, I trusted her and had her explain once more what to do to get there. In the end I took her advice and saved myself quite a bit of time by avoiding a trip all the way to Downtown Minneapolis to change buses.

My intention in sharing the previous story is not to play it up to be something bigger than it is, but simply to show that kindness exists and can be found even in unlikely situations. This young woman did not have to ask me where I was going or tell me how to save myself time, but she did anyway, just because it is the right thing to do.

The second example happened while waiting for my next train in Chicago’s Union Station. For those of you unfamiliar with this station, it is a constant bustle of activity and full of people at all hours of the day. It is also not generally the kind of place a person feels comfortable leaving luggage lying around unattended. While waiting for this train (which, by the way, was over two hours late), however, I needed to use the restroom and did not feel like lugging both of my bags with me on this short excursion. So I asked the gentleman standing in the line across from me if he could watch over my belongings while I stepped away for a moment. He assured me my things were fine and off I went feeling comfortable and trusting the man now watching my things. When I returned my things were fine and he then asked if I would watch his things while he stepped away for a moment. In the end this man and I were able to help one another in a classic “you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours” kind of meeting. Just as with the first story I do not mean to play this up to be more profound than the simple exchange it was, but share it as proof that people can be trusted, even in Union Station.

The last example is an opportunity that I had to help someone after boarding the train in Chicago last night. I was one of the first people on the train car I boarded and as a result I was able to pick where I wanted to sit easily. Near the end of the boarding time an older African-American couple sat down in the row of seats I was in: the man right next to me and the woman across the aisle from him. After they sat down I overheard them talking and ascertained that they were not having the best night. They were both tired from standing/waiting for two plus hours and were somewhat frustrated they were not able to sit next to one another. Without hardly thinking about it at all, I asked the woman if she would want to switch seats with me so she and her husband could sit next to one another. She immediately thanked me and we switched seats. Later that evening I was happy to see the two of them leaning against one another as they slept, definitely a feel good moment. :-)

Just as the first two examples of kindness directed towards me, this was not a grand gesture but a small act of kindness that I believe was influenced by the two kind deeds imparted upon me. I believe this narrative is evidence of the idea of ‘paying it forward.’ In a nutshell the idea is that acts of kindness (random or planned) start chain reactions of more acts of kindness which lead to more kind deeds.........and so on. Regardless of this, I felt like sharing some positive news from my life travels. As I conclude this I am just crossing the West Virginia-Virginia border between White Sulphur Springs, WV and Clifton Forge, VA. Gorgeous scenery of the Allegheny & Blue Ridge Mountains: rolling hills covered with lush forest growth, rocky outcroppings on hillsides, sleepy mountain towns, and the winding New River.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Traveler IQ Challenge - Because I love Geography & Travel!!!


The Traveler IQ challenge ranks geographic knowledge of cities such as: Charleston, Atlantic City or Carolina by comparing results against 5,992,971 other travelers. Brought to you by TravelPod, a TripAdvisor Media Network member